You are here

Become a member

Under the Legal Profession Act, lawyers practicing in the Northwest Territories must be members of the Law Society of the Northwest Territories.


To practice law in the Northwest Territories, you need to be a member of the Law Society of the Northwest Territories.  Unlike the provinces, there are no mobility provision in the NWT for lawyers from other Canadian jurisdictions.

In addition to full membership, lawyers from other Canadian jurisdictions can apply for Restricted Appearance Certificates to deal with a restricted number of matters over a restricted period of time.

You can find more information about the application process for both membership and Restricted Appearance certificates on the Applications page.


It is the responsibility of the member to update their member profile in the event of changes to their practice, address, and contact information.  All changes should be made by logging in to your User Profile.  If you do not have a user name and password, please contact our office and we will send you a link to create one.